Saturday, December 31, 2011

Happy New Year!

As I begin this New Year's Eve day, listening to the happy sounds drifting up the staircase, recalling the bounty that has characterized the past week, only one word fills my mind: BLESSED! Gratitude has been my personal theme for the past couple of months, and as 2011 draws to a close I find myself especially grateful for this new perspective I've adopted. Our Christmas was far too decadent, and I think we were in part trying to compensate for what was missing this year in not having our usual visits with family. It wasn't necessary. This has been a truly joyful Christmas holiday. In fact, as I attempt to put away all the gifts under the tree, I realize that these are not at all what I think of when I consider what a wonderful Christmas we've had. It was our first one that did not involve any travel. In fact, aside from one trip to town, a Dad/son date and Mommy/daughter date, and Connor's playdate yesterday, our week consisted of the four of us cozy together within the four walls of our home. We played games. We watched movies. We ate lots of turkey. We played with our new toys. We were content. We are content. I am loving this vacation and I don't want it to end!
My Christmas Eve blessings!
But today is December 31, and I cannot stop the New Year from coming! With it comes all sorts of challenges. Chris heads back to work on Tuesday, although thankfully not to the brutal pace that he has endured the past two months. I have a number of resolutions that I am determined to keep this year: more to come about those! Connor and Janelle have one more week off before their busy schedule resumes. Life rolls on and we try to roll along with it. If I allow myself to really consider what lies before us in these coming months and years I know I would find it daunting. But I remain content in knowing that my biggest responsibility is to look to the Lord and His Will and His Ways, and to try to align my own to the center of His. He is the Rock that I want to build 2012 upon.

This afternoon we drive to Oakville to spend the evening with family. I am so thankful we have this opportunity to nurture relationships with Chris's sisters and their families. We'll celebrate the coming of 2012 at Lori and Ben's New Year's Eve party, then bring all the kiddies back to Kate and Pierre's to spend the night and enjoy a lazy New Year's Day. I'll be thinking of my family and friends in NB, and I'll look forward to seeing them again in 2012. But I'll be happy to be spending the holiday exactly where I am.

Happy New Year to all!

1 comment: